Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thriller Thursday - Death in a Saloon

 From the Kansas City Star, Kansas City, Missouri, Obituary, 8 February 1910, p9:

Died after taking capsules.

Grundy Young, a Cleaner and Dyer, Fell into a Stupor in a Saloon.

Grundy Young, 39 years old, who lives with his parents at 1723 Prospect avenue, died in the rear of Orloff's saloon at Fifteenth and Locust streets, at 6:40 o'clock last night after swallowing several capsules in a glass of water.  He had been in the saloon most of the day.  Last night he sent to a drug store for some empty capsules.  Young took the capsules, went to the rear of the saloon and must seem to take a drink of water.  In a few moments he sat down, fell into a stupor and died before assistance arrived.  Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, deputy coroner, said the body to Wagner's undertaking rooms, where an inquest will be held today.  Young was employed at the cleaning and dying shop at 2528 Prospect avenue. 

Grundy's death certificate states his death was a suicide from carbolic acid poisoning. I never found any newspaper evidence of the inquest. His parents were Grundy Young, Sr. and Emma Buford. Grundy, Jr. was a fourth cousin 3 times removed.

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes


  1. A sad story. I wonder what drove him to take his life? Was he ever married or did he always live with his parents?

  2. Sad story. Your blog looks interesting. I'm fairly new (September 29, 2012) to GeneaBloggers and checking some of the Daily Genealogy Prompts. I've even done a couple.