Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Ancestry DNA Blessing or Curse?

One of the things I find curious on Ancestry's DNA site is their "Family Circles." There are some they've tried to include me in, but I can't find anything tying me to those particular trees. The other one is for my 4 times great grandparents, William Ball Chinn and Sarah Graves. That line is pretty well documented and despite what other people thing, William Ball Chinn did not die prior to 1816. He wrote his will in January of 1830 and was gone by March 1830. He lists his surviving heirs, which proves his connection to my line via his oldest son, Dr. Joseph Graves Chinn.  I think it's the people who prefer to think they did not descend from the illegitimate line of Rawleigh Chinn and Margaret Ball Downman, who are propagating this fictitious line. That incorrect association has been copied into at least 10 family trees. Garbage in, garbage out.


Copyright 2010-2018, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment