Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Of Marriage and Divorce in Michigan

Ancestry has Michigan marriage records, 1867-1952 and Divorce records 1897-1952. Hooray. Found quite a bit and it has been interesting searching.

First, I found a second marriage for Adele Kasten, my mother's cousin Leo Zimmeth's wife. Hooray. But I hadn't found a divorce record for her marriage for Leo. Adele was from Missouri, but since she remarried in Michigan, I hoped she would have divorced there too.

My first guess was that she divorced him while he served time in Jackson Prison (Jackson, Michigan) for armed robbery. He was released though in 1944, and sent to Kenton county, Kentucky where he was also wanted and Cincinnati, Ohio also had an outstanding warrant against him. I've never found anything in Kenton county or Cincinnati regarding him so I don't know if he did  time there or not.

To her credit, Adele did not divorce him while he served in Jackson prison. Instead she waited until March of 1945. I finally found the record today since their last name Zimmeth was indexed as Zimineth. Gah!

Then I went looking for my mom's cousin Celestine Zimmeth's divorce. Celestine and Leo were  cousins, not siblings. She married Bruce Parrott in 1950 and they divorced in June of 1952.  They were indexed as Parrolt. Gah again. That is a file I would love to see, since I have my suspicions about Celestine.  Very interesting.

Copyright 2010-2015, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment