Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Face Value

I love Find-a-Grave. I find it so useful and love it when someone has taken the time and effort to record a tombstone and take a picture. I do it, too. It's just been a long time since I've done any.

At any rate, a Zimmeth relative got me going on something last week, regarding a possible adoption, so I dug into my files looking to see if I had a record of it. I didn't, but did find an 1870 Michigan birth record for one Elisabeth Kibler. I knew the family moved back to Buffalo, New York a few years later, and I decided I needed to find a marriage record if possible.

Well, I was lucky enough to find an abstract of the marriage for Elisabetha Kibler, daughter of Michaelis Kibler and Monicae Klaus to William A. Gebhard, son of Nicolai Gebhard and Carolinae Utni. Don't you just love Latin! They were married October 16, 1888 at St. Mary of Sorrow Parish in Buffalo.

Next stop, Find-A-Grave. I did find an entry for Elizabeth Gebhard. Her years are right. Williams? Not so much. His birth year is off by 20 years. He was born in 1866, not 1886. He would have been 22 at his marriage not 2!

While I found a death/burial record for Elizabeth, I did not find one for William. Unfortunate, since I think it would clear up this error.

Thanks to Donna Ruhland Bonning for permission to use this photo on my blog.

Copyright 2010-2015, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth and William Gebhard are relatives of mine. Do you have more info on thier children?

    ReplyDelete