Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, October 12, 2020

What's That Middle Name?

I have been increasingly frustrated by distant relatives of mine using Kirtley as a middle name. I have one by the name of Robert Kirtley Graves and another by the name of James Kirtley Roberts. Both in Kentucky. 

The latter one gave me pause today, when his wife, Matilda "Tete" Percival Roberts came up in my Ancestry hints. I knew her ancestors, so I thought I'd take a look at James "Kirtley" Roberts. To my surprise, he died in Brookeville, Indiana. His death certificate gives his father's name as James T. Roberts. After a surprisingly short time, I debunked his father's name. No, his name was not James T. Roberts, but John H. Roberts who married Mary Jane Johnson and by whom he had two sons, Harvey H., and James Kirtley. From records, I did find that locale was consistent of Walton, Boone county, Kentucky. I found a death notice for Mary Jane in the Louisville, Kentucky Courier-Journal which mentions her sons, Dr. H. H. and James K. Roberts. 

By now, I am used to finding incorrect information on death certificates. They are only as good as the informant. In this case, I don't know who gave the information and how for James Kirtley Roberts. I just know it is wrong.

I am trying to figure out if I want to tackle Mary Jane Johnson. I do have Johnsons that connect to Kirtleys. It would be helpful if I could find her 1913 death certificate.

Copyright 2010-2020, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment