Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Saturday, July 9, 2022

The War of 1812 - The Letters

I teased about the letters.  Here is the transcription to the best of my capability. 

(JSP 01)

File 9221 Percival, John S. M.D. 1815 (N.Y.)


(JSP 02)

Re md for appt. Hosp. Surg. Mate - Jan 28.


1182 - New York

Jno. S. Percival S. Mate 

R by Dr. Stearns

28 Jany 1815


(JSP 03)

City of Washington 28th Jany 1815


Sir I have the honor to enclose you a letter which I lately received from Dr. John Stearns of the city of Albany, recommending Doctor John S. Percival for the commission of Surgeon’s mate. With Doctor Percival I have no acquaintance, with Doctor Stearns I have been long and intimately acquainted with his true character in the line of his profession. I have taken the liberty to certify upon the back of the letter enclosed.


I have the honour to be Sir

With great consideration

Your Most Obt Sevt.


John Lovett  


(Addressed to the Honorable James Monroe)


(JSP 04)

9221

Encl. Percival, John

Jany 28, 1815


Hon John Lovett 

Member of Congress Washington

(Reverse of letter)


(JSP 04)

Albany 20th Jany 1815


Dear Sir, Although I have some acquaintances with the mode of receiving, yet I have very little with that of professing solicitations for office. It is therefore with reluctance that I trouble you with the request of my Nephew Dr. John S. Percival - he wishes to obtain your aid in procuring for him the appointment of Hospital Surgeon mate. Dr. Shaw the Hospital Surgeon at Green Bush has informed him that he wants a mate and has directed him to pursue this mode to obtain the appointment. In recommendation of Dr. Percival I can freely say that I believe him to be well qualified to discharge the duties of that office - He was appointed Surgeons mate in the militia detached last summer for the defense of New York, but on account of the removal of his surgeon to the hospital, performed the duties of Regimental Surgeon without an appointment & was singularly successful not to lose a single patient in that Corps. 

Your successful interference in this case will confer on me a favor which I shall always be happy to reciprocate, and an obligation which I trust I shall never refuse to acknowledge.

At the National bank posses what is your opinion of it (—)?

Accept assurance of my highest esteem and friendship.


John Stearns


Hon. John Lovett



The undersigned can with truth and confidence certify that Doctor John Stearns has long stood at the head of his profession in the city of Albany, and that no gentleman would be more cautious and guarded against urging the pretensions of any candidate which was not well founded in merit and skill.


John Lovett of the House of Rep from Albany, NY


Washington City

28th Jany 1815





















Copyright 2010-2022, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment