Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday - This Is How I Like to Start a Week

Last Saturday's "Sympathy Saturday - Joseph Oliver" made me take another look at the children living with Joe and Eliza (Percival) Oliver in 1850. Joe was born in 1812 and died in 1868; Eliza (my great-great-great aunt) was born in 1823 and died in 1884. They were married in 1844 in Boone county, Kentucky.

From family letters, I found several children mentioned: Dryden, Nimmy, Oliver, Lilburn and Meddie. In 1850, Oliver, Lilburn and Madeline Foster were living with Joe and Eliza in Meade county, Kentucky.

Periodically, I will check for records online at Ancestry.com and this time, I found out that J. Oliver, Lilburn Boggs and Martha Madeline Foster were the children of Asa and Patsy Boggs Oliver Foster. I am now working on the premise that Patsy and Joe Oliver were siblings, and Joe and Eliza Oliver took the children in on Patsy's death in 1849.

That still doesn't explain who Dryden and Nimmy were. Were they Joe's children from a previous marriage? I do not find them on the census. In later years, Eliza would bemoan that she had no children of her own, and was grateful to Meddie for giving her a home. I still find that Meddie supposedly died in Kentucky in 1924. Unfortunately, I've never found a death certificate for her. At the time of her death she was married to John B. Parr who followed her in 1927. And guess what? No death certificate for him in Kentucky either.

Someday, I may find out who Joe's parents were, who Dryden and Nimmy were. In the meantime, I'll keep looking.



Copyright 2010-2014, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment