Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Bonus Find - Obituary of Helen Skirving Maitland.

A friend of mine did an informal survey on Facebook about favorite Apps and/or websites. RootsMagic has long been my favorite App, even the year and a half I used a different genealogy software. This week, however, my favorite website is Newspapers.com.  I found that wonderful gem about my Maitland progenitors in yesterdays post. Today, I am sharing an obituary of my great great great grandmother Helen Maitland nee Skirving. This actually corrected a death date that I had. I don't know if I made the error or if the person from whom I received the information did. It's corrected now and that is all that matters. I love that she was born near Edenburg, Scotland. That should read Edinburgh (pronounced Edin-burrough to all you non Scots. Most of the rest of the information is more or less correct. What it doesn't tell you is that they emigrated to Canada in 1833, and they were there just a few months when her father fell down a well and died. She married Alexander Maitland, who indeed survived her, although I haven't discovered his obituary yet. I will.

Copyright 2010-2017, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment