Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Indexing - Should I Laugh or Cry?

Now that Ancestry has seemed to clean up it's stupid census link errors, I have a bone to pick about the indexing.

It seems the trained monkeys who are indexing census, have invented a place called "Gland of Malta." Seriously:

Frank Smith:
Birth Year: abt 1793
Age in 1870: 77
Birthplace: Gland of Malta
Home in 1870: Castleton, Richmond, New York
Race: White
Gender: Male

It's funny, but when I look at the link, I see "Island of Malta." Stuff like this really tries my patience.

But imagine my surprise when I found another record, this a death certificate.

This is what I found in the indexing:

Name: Not Named Smith
Death Date: 27 Dec 1916
Death Location: Franklin
Residence Location: Franklin
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Ethnicity: White
Birth Date: 15 Jun 1845
Birth Location: Harrison
Father's Name: Frank C Smith
Father's Birth Location: Kentucky
Mother's Name: Agnes B Chinn
Mother's Birth Location: Kentucky

I mean, really, who goes through 71 years without a first name? No one. His name, Frank B. Smith is clearly written on the death certificate.

Now, if I am looking for a death certificate and I see something like "Not Named," I tend to skip over it, figuring it is a stillborn. Of course, a closer look shows that the Not Named is 71 years old and a closer look shows his name clearly written.

I still don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes


  1. Ancestry is giving you great blog fodder. SIGHHHH

  2. And as if that isn't enough, every time I hit a census link for the last few hours I get the "Check Back Soon .." message.