Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth!

I can think of no more appropriate way to celebrate the Fourth of July, Independence Day, than by writing about the newest database on Ancestry.com. This database, "Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970" is a mother lode of information. 

I discovered the database last Wednesday evening, when I checked the new databases listed at the bottom of the home page on Ancestry.com. And I did what I usually do when I discover a new database, I type in my maiden name and start the search. I got 86 hits. Since every name in each record is indexed,  There were a lot of duplicates and so far I've found 17 different records. A few of them were "new" descendants, i.e. they weren't in my database yet.

The illustrations are the application of Charles Knox Lincoln, a third cousin twice removed. His application papers had an added bonus - for me anyway!






Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment