Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Post Revolutionary War Records or Lookie What I Found!

I absolutely love some of the databases that Ancestry.com is putting online. One such recent database is: U.S. Compiled Service Records, Post-Revolutionary War Volunteer Soldiers, 1784-1811. What a great database for those who served in the Indian Wars. 

I was lucky enough to find this record for William Ball Chinn. I am reasonably sure this is my great-great-great-great grandfather, son of Charles Chinn and Sythe Davis. Reason number one: He is the right age. Reason number two: There are also records for two of his brothers in this set. Reason number three: The full name is entered on this record.  


William Ball Chinn was born in 1770, so he would be 23 at the time. Notice that he is a trumpeter. He married Sarah "Sally" Graves and their first child was born in 1797, Joseph Graves Chinn, my great-great-great grandfather.

Unfortunately, information on William Ball Chinn is pretty scarce, so to be able to find anything on him at all is great.

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

2 comments:

  1. WOW, that is so AWESOME!! My husband is big on his family history. He pretty much has found all of his family members on both sides and he is at the point to where he really can't go much further. He has everything in a binder all organized. It is pretty amazing to look at. So congratulations on finding that. I know how exciting that is. I was doing some research on my moms side of the family and found out that we had a vice president named Daniel D Tompkins and he was In office March 4, 1817 – March 4, 1825 to
    President James Monroe. So when I found that out I thought that was SOOO cool. Anyhow, congrats on finding some of your family history. That is amazing!! The internet is amazing! Terri of Two Pink Peas www.twopinkpeas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am mostly filling in color and looking for information on the few roadblocks I have. William Ball Chinn is one of them.

    ReplyDelete