Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Looking Around

I hate when I'm researching a family and there are blanks. One such blank was Robert James Peebles Maitland, son of Charles Maitland and Mary Gardyne. Born January 7, 1862 in Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland. But no death date. Now, the information I did have until last week, was stuff people had shared with me. Today, I found the 1900 US Census in Newark, New Jersey, where Robert was a foreman in a beer bottling plant. How appropriate since I am sure he learned at his father's knee the brewing business.

The next document I came across was the 1907 Citizenship paperwork in which Robert becomes a United States citizen. Also attached with this was his 1895 application. He came to the US in 1892, and apparently decided to stay.

Find-a-grave shows he is buried in Clifton, New Jersey. They have him married, but the headstone shows he is buried with his niece Louisa Jean Maitland who died in 1910. I tried to contact the contributor to get permission to post the photo. Since this person does not allow any email, I'll just post the picture. If you look closely you'll see that the stone designates that they were natives of Alloa, Scotland.


Copyright 2010-2017, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment