Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Who Was Lucy Booth Grolton's Second Husband

In Lucy Grolton Everett nee Booth's death notice, her husband was named as C. Walter Everett. In the publication that they applied for a marriage license, his name is just listed as Walter. How would I find his first name and ergo other information on him.

I did an Ancestry search. I simply put in his name as Walter Everett, and a birth year of 1887 (he was 62 in January 1950 when they applied for their license.)

The Ancestry search led me to Cecil Walter Everett of Camden, New Jersey, on a World War II draft registration. Could I prove it was him?

The simple answer was yes. Both the marriage license and the draft registration had the same address: 2861 Tuckahoe Rd.

It also gave me a little tidbit besides his birthdate of May 3, 1887. He was born in Yorkshire, England. So it would seem. However, I show a Cecil Walter Everett born in 1889 in the England birth records.

To further complicate things, his death notice says he was 91 when he died on December 4, 1977. And of course there are typos and then there are little things like his daughter Edith Glolton. I wonder if it should read Grolton. Since that was the name of his stepson's wife - Edythe Grolton.

And the reason I am working on this line at all? Lucy Ann Booth was the daughter of Dr. Hillary A. Booth and Margaret Maitland, and Margaret was the eldest daughter of my great-great grandparents  Alexander and Mary Oliphant Maitland. Alexander was a first cousin of Charles Maitland whose bibles I now own!

Copyright 2010-2017, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment