I have had the opportunity over the holiday weekend to test RootsMagic 8. Yes, it came out a year ago and I was part of the community testing. However, I had some persistent errors on my Mac when working in the program.
When RootsMagic reached out to me recently to test the program for the errors I was experiencing, I jumped at the chance. I am so glad I did.
First, let me say that I love RootsMagic 8. I've used this program since it's inception, owning every version of it including its progenitor Family Origins. About the same time I decided I was done with Windows and was going to migrate to a Mac, RootsMagic announced they were making the program usable on a Mac with the help of an emulator. I felt like I was coming home.
Then came the official news that RootsMagic was working on a totally new RootsMagic which would also have a native Mac version. I couldn't wait, became a community tester, but was disappointed with the errors I kept experiencing.
Now I was given a holiday weekend to work in the new program. First, I made a new database, adding people, facts, sources, images and tasks - the old to-do list from previous versions. I experimented with folders for the tasks, and worked for hours a day for the next four days without a single error message. And I worked in complete silence about what I was doing except for the daily diary I kept.
That was probably the hardest part for me, keeping silent! I made it through the entire weekend without the dreaded access violation error. I reported in on Tuesday, gave my results and later that day, RootsMagic version 8.2.5 was released.
This is really a great program and very reasonably priced at $39.95, which compared to the other Mac genealogy programs, is very reasonable. If you have a license to a previous version, you can save $10.
Copyright 2010-2022, ACK for Gene Notes