Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thriller Thursday - Fire!

Gladys Maitland was the daughter of Alex Maitland and Desdemona Henderson. She married Dr. Everett R. Deweese on April 28, 1920 (see Wedding Wednesday for that date.) They had one son, Jack. I think fires of any kind are terrifying, and she was overtaken by smoke inhalation before she could get to her back door. According to Zillow the house is valued at over $800,000 today.

From the Great Bend (Kansas) Daily Tribune, June 16, 1967.
 

WOMAN DIES IN FIRE IN $100,000 MANSION.

PRAIRIE VILLAGE, Kan. (UPI)-- Fire at a fashionable Johnson County home claimed the life early today of Mrs. Gladys Deweese, widow of the late Dr. E. R. Deweese.

Firemen said the woman's body was found about 20 feet from the rear door in the kitchen of the 2-story home priced in about the $100,000 bracket.

Firefighters estimated the damages at between $30,000 and $35,000 and said the blaze apparently had begun by defective wiring.

They said the fire started at about 11 p.m. Thursday, but that the alarm was not turned in until about 12:56 a.m.

(The scene of the fire was 3316 W. 69th in Prairie Village.)

And this from the Salina (Kansas) Journal, June 16, 1967:

SMOKE KILLS KC WOMAN
Friday, June 16 -
Kansas City (AP) -- Mrs. E. R. Deweese, about 70, died of smoke inhalation early today when fire broke out at her home in Mission Hills, a suburb of Kansas City.

She was the widow of Dr. E. R. Deweese of Kansas City, who died about two years ago.

Firechief C. G. Lipps said damage to the home was estimated at $20,000. He said the cause was apparently defective wiring.


Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment