Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Oops! My Bad! - Or Don't Overlook Your Own Records!


When you think back on where you lived as a child, do you remember everywhere you ever lived? I have vague recollections of my parent's house at 8600 Braille in Detroit in 1954-ish. I'm thinking those memories are probably close to the time they moved from there to 9567 Nathaline in Redford Township in October of 1954. That house I remember, as it is where I grew up from the age of two to twenty, when I rented an apartment of my own.

Therefore, I think I can be forgiven for whining about where my parents lived. My dad's parents lived in several homes in Detroit in the 1920s and 1930s. When grandma died in 1938, however, I do know where they lived and I forgot that I knew that. I knew my dad lived on Montrose, but that was earlier than 1938. In August 1938, they were living at 15766 Ferguson in Detroit area of Southfield and Grand River.  I vaguely remember my dad mentioning Ferguson, but suddenly I remembered the letters I transcribed written to my grandmother from my grandfather and the few she wrote to him when he took the job with the Detroit Water Board in the 1920s. And then there was the correspondence with the funeral home addressed to 15766 Ferguson. Were they living there in 1940? I don't know, but it is a place to start.

Mom's location is still up in the air!

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment