Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Home Improvements

My DH and I have been enjoying some relaxation on our deck recently. One of our recent purchases was an outdoor pedestal fan. While it doesn't reduce the humidity, it makes it somewhat more comfy. I can't even imagine how my ancestors fared during those summers in Missouri and Kentucky in the 1800s. Most certainly, they were not wealthy slave owners for the most part, and we know the women dressed a lot heavier than we do now. When it gets this hot, I recall the spring of 1982 in Michigan when we were expecting younger daughter, and we had extremely hot weather and no air conditioning. What must it have been like for my great-great grandmothers, who not only had to care for their children, but do laundry over a hot fire! I love modern conveniences.

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment