Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Too-Too Thursday - No Wonder I Couldn't Find Them in 1930

I have collateral relatives who go by their middle names. Drives me crazy. It can be especially difficult when doing a census search.

With the release of the 1940 census, I've discovered that I'm missing a few 1930 census. One of the families is that of Abram Smith Bowman. I really had no problems finding him with his family in 1910 or 1920, but finding him in 1930 was difficult. So difficult that I didn't find him at all. Until now. Finally, I got smart and searched for Smith Bowman and there he was ... sort of. He was listed as H. Smith Bowman, as was his eldest son. It's not an indexing error for once. It was that danged census taker. And, yes, I am sure it is the correct family, because that is exactly where they were living in 1940.






Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment