Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, February 1, 2016

The Trouble with Databases ...

Back on December 19th, I did it. I made the move BACK to RootsMagic. Let's just say it wasn't all smooth sailing. When looking over  some people in my database, I noted that a few census sources were missing. How did I know? Well, the census image was there, but no source. So I ran a list of people with missing census sources. I made a fact list for the census and then ran a tag for people who had a census fact but were missing the source. I'm sorry to say it was 48 pages long.

Now, 98% of these were shared census facts. In other words, if a person were married and/or had children who appeared with them on a certain census, I could share them among the family members. I really like this feature but, it did cause a headache. And not only did it print out census that was missing the sources, but mostly every census each person appeared on whether the source was missing or not. I spent two weeks after New Year's straightening that mess out.

When I uploaded my database onto dropbox to enable use in the RootsMagic app on my android devices, I discovered another issue. RootsMagic wasn't building the thumbnails for my multimedia items. I knew this would be a huge issue since I have over 16,000 images linked.

I worked with RootsMagic support over this, and Renee Zamora helped me figure out how to find the culprit(s). There were five of  them, and that has been straightened out. Whew!

One of these days I'll actually get to do data entry and research again!

Copyright 2010-2016, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment