Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Morris Kervoal Where Are You?

There is a great little database on Ancestry that I have been working through called Maine Marriages 1892-1996. I have been attempting to put all these Percival lines together. Sometimes that requires looking at the census to find out to which Percival line they belong. For the most part it went okay except when you would come across this type of relationship on a census - boarder. Sometimes it was necessary to trace back to the grandparents to make sure you had the right relationship and sometimes you would get lucky and the grandkids would be living with the Percival grandparents and that relationship would be denoted as grandson or g-son.

The fellow who gave me the most trouble was Maurice Benjamin Percival. First of all, the only document I find him listed as Maurice is his World War I draft record. All other records he is listed as Morris B Percival (not to be confused with Morris B Percival, son of Daniel G Percival.) I had found the family in 1900, and 1910 but on the 1920 census he was nowhere to be found. Time to search by first name only. Sure enough I found him indexed as Morris Kervoal. Clicking on the image below will show you Ancestry's image.


As if that isn't bad enough, Heritage Quest has him indexed as Resiwal. And Family Search has Ancestry's version of Kervoal. I was able to match every person on that record to my database, so I am sure I have the correct person. I made the correction on Ancestry's database. 
Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

2 comments:

  1. Hoo boy. I really think those transcriptions should be checked by more than a single person. I can make Percival out of what's there. Then again, I know what to look for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure they're even done by humans.

    ReplyDelete