Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Brick Wall: That Six Generation Chart

Of the sixty-three people who should be listed on my six generation pedigree chart, I am missing four. And not surprisingly, they are almost all women. I say that because of the time frame of my sixth generation.

1. Elizabeth Custis Carter was born February 26, 1834. Her father was Edwin Carter born about 1813 in Virginia. By 1850 Elizabeth's parents are nowhere to be found. Elizabeth was married in 1853 to John Garland Webb in Lafayette County, Missouri. Somewhere between 1834 & 1853 something happened to her folks. I found a Lizzie Carter in Lafayette county in 1850 living near the Webbs. I can't positively say this is my great-great grandmother or not.

 2. My next hole is the mother of my great-great grandmother, Philomena Beckmeier. Philomena married Henrich Anton Meyer in 1859. I don't even know if she was in the United States in 1850. For all I know, she might have been married prior to 1859.

3. If you actually looked at my 6 generation chart, you would say, "Those are out of order." And you would be right. The last hole is actually a couple. That couple are the parents of Christine Wilhelmine Zabrack Cleasott. I have a birth and death date for Wilhelmine (The Christine comes from a death record of their youngest daughter, Charlotte) and just about nothing else. She was from Prussia. Gee that narrows it down. Since the Klevesaat/Kleesaat/Cleasott line is from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that Prussia location. Surely, I have NEVER been able to find anything on the Zabracks prior to some who emigrated to the US in the late 1800s. Wilhelmine and hubby Christian Cleasott emigrated in 1854. I have been told by a researcher more experienced than me that Zabrack is probably incorrect. Who can say. I got that from her adult daughter's baptismal record. So while it gives me a clue to my g-g-g grandfather's surname that's all.

Can anyone say BRICK WALL?











Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the great philosophers who once sang, "All in all, you're just another brick in the wall."

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Brick Wall 1. Elizabeth Custer Carter, daughter of Edwin. If it isn't obvious, the brick wall part is her mother, also named Elizabeth. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, I just looked on my 6 generatational I am missing 6 people, 3 married couples. Hubby-wife, hubby-wife and hubby-wife. One of those couples would be the father of the William Remley we discussed the other day.

    ReplyDelete