Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Letters

I feel like I have done very little research lately and absolutely no data entry at all - with the exception of entering the day of my grandfather's aunt Mary (Mayme) Maitland Shackleford's birth! Yes, that's right, I did NOT have great-great grand aunt Mayme's birth date other than I knew she was born in May 1878 in Richmond, Missouri. Now I know that she was born May 11, 1878.

There is still a lot I don't know about Mayme. She and her husband, Jonathan Shackelford were divorced sometime between the 1920 and 1930 census. By 1930, he is absolutely nowhere to be found. He doesn't appear in any death records in Missouri that I can ascertain. Mayme died November 13, 1958 in Topeka, Kansas.

Mayme and Jonathan Shackelford had two daughters, Mary Katherine, born in 1904 and died in 1987 in California. She was married to Robert Brockett. Her daughter Sara was born in 1915 and married Dwayne Smith.

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. I like that spelling of Mayme! I usually just use the movie version, Mame. And this is why oral histories, or journals are so important, to add the real-life stuff. Speaking of which, as soon as we have secured a location, there will be a save-the-date coming your way for November 5th!

    ReplyDelete