Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wedding Wednesday - Percival & Zimmeth (The Second Wedding)

Yeah, I know I already talked about my parent's marriage, the civil ceremony which took place July 20, 1946 in Fremont, Ohio. This is about their other wedding.

First, if you are under the age of 50, you probably aren't aware of the religious ramifications of marrying a Catholic if you were Protestant or vice versa. In this instance, my mother was Catholic and my father wasn't. I don't think they thought much of it when they decided to elope when they were traveling to Fremont with Janet Dean & Bill Budgero, who did intend to elope.

I am sure three weeks later when the news finally leaked out, there was shock on the part of both fathers. I certainly do know that my parents were pressured into getting their marriage blessed in the "Church" and so on February 23, 1947, my parents were again married at St. Boniface Catholic Church in Detroit, Michigan.

Feb 23 1947 Marriage Certificate
I remember telling someone in my mother's hearing that they eloped and the dirty look I got from her. I still don't know what that's about, but everybody knew my parent's real wedding date was July 20th 1946. That is the one they celebrated. I don't ever remember them even acknowledging their Church wedding. In fact, it wasn't until I really got interested in family history that I even saw the church certificate. But there you are, they were married twice.


Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment