Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Follow-up

I've been working industriously on the census. One of the families I worked on was Josephine Zimmeth/Zimmet and Frank Bescher/Basher. And yes, you will see that I blogged about them December of 2010 and 2011 for Wedding Wednesday. Glaring oversight which I caused because of the use of the variant spellings.

But in entering census information for them today, I was reminded of their December 1887 wedding. And yes, they were married in the Catholic Church on December 15, 1887. And they were first cousins.

That's not the whole story though. I say this because they are listed on the 1880 census as husband and wife. Yes, a full 7 years before their church wedding. Their first daughter, Cora, was born in 1880. Another daughter, Lauretta came along in 1883 and their third daughter Estella was born in 1892.

It makes me curious though. Usually a couple puts off their marriage in order to get their dispensation for marrying a cousin. I've not found a civil record for their "marriage" in or prior to 1880.

What a family!

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment