Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Richard Chinn's Occupation

Every so often, something on the census will tickle me. In this case, it is the 1880 census. There are a lot of things about this census that make me wonder, such as marital status of someone who is listed as widowed, but I know his wife is still alive and living in the District of Columbia. But that isn't what tickles me. It's his occupation: Capitalist!


Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. From Miriam-Webster dictionary online at

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/capitalist

    "a person who has capital especially invested in business; broadly : a person of wealth : plutocrat"

    So, Richard considered himself wealthy?? Did he die with a pocket full of $$ ??

    I have seen this term used as an occupation several times, I always thought it had a cool "ring" to it! :-)))

    ReplyDelete