Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Meanderings

I can't believe how fast this week has gone by. Seems like yesterday was Monday. I've had a lot of stuff to keep me busy in the way of birth, marriage & death records with the odd obituary or marriage announcement thrown in. Let's not forget the census, because it seems like I find at least 30 of those every week. Where do they come from?

I've been using Transcript  (See Thursday's post) to transcribe some newspaper articles and some really long probate records. It's been working really well and I can hardly wait to start on my grandpa Percival's letters. Actually they are letters to and from his wife. The first one I read, basically the only one I actually read from start to finish, showed a side of my grandfather that I had never seen before. The man he was in that letter surely wasn't the one I knew 40 years later.

I remember years ago, reading some letters my parents wrote to each other. Both my parents were still alive and the letters were intensely personal and I couldn't read them. I have no idea if those survived and which, if any, of my siblings have them.

This weekend will be a busy one, Sunday being Easter AND my father-in-law's 91st birthday. You won't believe what we are having for dinner! I hope it doesn't become a tradition!

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

2 comments:

  1. I don't have the letters, but I do have the negatives of some "pictures" dad took of mom. Want to have to scratch your eyes out with a spork?

    ReplyDelete