Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Project

For the past week, I have been working on transcribing a box of letters written by my grandfather for the most part to his fiancee during his time in the Army during the Great War (that's World War I.)

I was moving along just great, when I realized grandpa had misdated a series of letters. These were letters from January and February 1918 from Betancourt, France. I didn't realize until I got to the first April 1918 letter that he had just then gotten to France and that the others were misdated. It isn't a huge deal, but since I saved the image files as 19180102 JSP to MB (date in reverse order; JSP is grandpa and MB is grandma) followed by a, b, c, d, etc indicating the page. So now I have to find those five letters and rename them, make the correction on the transcribed copy and refile them in correct chronological order.

I've had this box probably for about 3 three years? I'm sure I moved them from Michigan to Tennessee when we moved here. It may even have been a little longer. I am really glad to have them and have enjoyed transcribing them.

I've sorted through the other treasures in that box and will photocopy, preserve and figure out what to do with that stuff too, when I am done with the transcriptions.

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! You will feel a real sense of accomplishment when you are done.

    I've got my grandfather's letters from WWI. Both the ones he wrote home and to a cousin. As well as his diary. I got as far as photocopying them a number of years ago and putting them in a notebook. I'm glad I did as it's pretty handy. I'd like to transcribe them, when I can find some time...

    ReplyDelete