Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Relatively Speaking - Memorial Day & the Best Laid Plans

Several years ago, before we made the 600 mile move to Tennessee, DH and I made a trip to visit my Aunt and cousins in western Michigan. Truly, if they were any further west, they'd be in Lake Michigan.

We had a great visit with my Aunt, and two of my three cousins. They are the only Percival cousins I have, and it is nice to touch base with them periodically.

It being Memorial Day weekend, DH and I thought we would stop at Fort Custer National Cemetery in Augusta, Michigan and visit my dad's grave. Since it was Sunday, we figured we were safe.

Um we were wrong. Long before we got to the entrance of the cemetery, there was a lineup of cars to get in, and a sign for the ceremony. When we had checked on the schedule before we went to the cemetery, that ceremony was scheduled for Monday. For all I know, this was a different ceremony.

We didn't get in the slow-moving line, instead I waved in the general vicinity of dad's plot and said we'd try again. We eventually did get there - have actually been there twice - my mom was buried with dad a couple of years ago.

That's probably the only time I've told DH that we could skip a cemetery.

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

4 comments:

  1. I was there last November, and since it was the weekend after veteran's day, there were no people (live ones), but lots of little flags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were there last July. Every time we've been there we've gotten eaten alive by skeeters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! A WO that drove by a cemetery without stopping?!?!?!?!? Unheard of! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it is hard to believe, but I don't line up to go into a cemetery unless part of a funeral...even then, I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete