I learned a couple things recently. First is that Missouri was having volunteers construct the online death index from the written indices. This year they abandoned that method and are having volunteers construct the index from the actual records themselves. I volunteered for this.
Second, I learned that if I could go back in time (Dr Who, where is your TARDIS when I need it?) and whack the record makers upside their heads I would surely do it. Even in 1960, the age of the typewriter, there are strikeovers, faint ink (hello, this is a death record, let's make it readable) and inconsistencies in the surnames from line to line. In other words, it ain't as easy as it looks.
The main issue I came up against was basically the incompatibility of both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox with the Missouri State Archives indexing program. Google Chrome, for which I normally have little use, works just fine. Go figure. The other issue was the inability of some of the record makers to follow directions, or even read what the form says. If the spot next to AGE says If under one year: Month days it doesn't mean you should put 76 for the age and 9 for the month and 7 for the days. Hello that person is not under one year of age.
I love how it keeps track of the number of records you've indexed. At last count, I was up to 2,305. Fun. Can't wait to see these records online.
Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes