Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, September 16, 2011

B-O-L-O: Be On the LookOut, part 3

Okay, I am done on dad's side of the family. Let's take a look at my mom's side!

Boegler - Catherine Boegler, my great-great grandmother was the daughter of Christian Boegler and Anastasia Lacher. Christian's parents were Jacques Boegler and Eva Maria Doper. Catherine married Joseph Zimmeth.

Cleasot/Klesat/Kleesaat/Klevesaat, etc - Yes, you CAN tell that I've actually researched this line. Considering my grandfather thought his mother's maiden name was Glissant, I think I've done quite well with it. Of course, none of this would have been possible without the hard work of my friend, Jan Zaleski, Polish researcher extraordinaire, who was prepping a talk on the Hamburg Passenger Lists at the Western Wayne County (Michigan) Genealogical Society annual seminar quite a few years ago now. He asked if there was anyone I couldn't locate and bingo, he found the family on the Hamburg Lists. That gave a town name for Christian Kleesaat of Gadebehn in Mecklenburg-Schwerin. I ordered the films at the local LDS in Westland, Michigan and began the hunt. I was able to take Christian back three generations to my g-g-g-g-g grandfather, also named Christian.  Unfortunately, Christian did not marry his wife Wilhelmina (maybe Zabrack) anywhere nearby. So his location from his marriage to his emigration to New York are unknown. He emigrated in 1854 and that makes him the latest emigrant in my line.

Kettler - part of my Kettler/Knost/Meyer line, this research was done by my cousin's wife, Evie. She is a great researcher and I went and ordered the films for Auglaize county, Ohio where the family lived from circa 1830 to the present. This family goes back to Germany and I have it documented back to my g-g-g-g-g grandfather Johann Friedrich Kettler. This family lived in New Bremen, Ohio.

Knost - Evie and I say Kanost. The American in me wants to say Nost. Whatever it is, this line married into the Kettler line with the marriage of Gerhard Knost and Anna Maria Wilhelmina Charlotte Kettler, my great-great grandparents. This family goes back to Schledehausen, Osnabruck, Hannover, Germany. I can take this line back to my g-g-g-g-g grandparents.The family lived in New Bremen, Ohio.

Mack/McEachin - This is my late Uncle Angus' line. I didn't know until shortly before my aunt Margie died that his name was really McEachin. The McEachins emigrated from Scotland to Canada to the thumb area of Michigan. Even though this is not a bloodline of mine, I know quite a bit about them.

Meyer - Joseph Meyer, of Minster, Ohio was Catholic. His wife, Amelia Catherine Knost was Lutheran. They were my great-grandparents. Their marriage would produce 7 children. Joseph died in 1909 and his family would move to Michigan where there were more jobs. The Meyer family can be traced back to Berend Meyer and Elizabeth Buschelman who married in 1709 in Steinfeld, Germany - my g-g-g-g-g-g grandparents. Joseph & Amelia's oldest daughter, Louetta was my grandmother.

Zabrack - I've posted about this name before. It may or may not be Zabrack. The owner of the name, Wilhelmina, married Christian Cleasot/Kleesaat. This is one of my brick walls.

Zimmeth - Charles Zimmeth and Louetta Meyer were my grandparents. Charles' line can be traced back to Roeschwoog, Alsace, France to John Jacob Zimmeth and Eva Andres, my g-g-g-g-g grandparents. Joseph Francis Zimmeth, my great-great grandparents emigrated to Lancaster, Erie, New York somewhere between 1835 and 1839. My great-grandfather, August Zimmeth was the only child of Joseph Zimmeth and Catherine Boegler to be born in America. He was born May 29, 1839 in Lancaster, New York. He eventually moved to Michigan. One of his brother's Joseph Zimmeth, Jr., moved first to Michigan and then on to Minnesota.

Other names I research on this line are Cimini, and Baril, my aunt's line.

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment