Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, September 19, 2011

United States, Records of Confederate Prisoners of War, 1861-1865

United States, Records of Confederate Prisoners of War, 1861-1865 is a database on Family Search and boy, is it a tedious database to browse. I may have mentioned once or twice how I hate the words "Browse Images" next to some of the databases. Some are pretty well organized as to date, but some of these POW records are so haphazard that you have to browse through darn near every page.

Case in point, my great great grandfather John Garland Webb, surrendered at Cape Girardeau,  Missouri, May 15, 1863 and was released upon taking the Oath of Allegiance on May 18, 1863. This is according to the Adjutant General's office. Unfortunately, I do not find him. Oh and he was riding with General Jo Shelby's men, 5th Missouri Cavalry, CSA. No, I did not look at every page and there are some indices in these volumes, but I didn't find him.

His brother, James Graves Webb, however, I did find after searching through the Deaths at Alton Military Prison, Alton, Illinois. His war record does state that he died there and I did find the death record for February 19, 1865 of smallpox. I'm still looking for his admission there. The good thing is I know have a record of his capture per the death record.

"Graves," as he was known was also in the 5th Missouri Cavalry, CSA. 

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment