Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome 2012!

Wow! I can't believe how fast 2011 zipped buy. Time sure does fly when you are having fun. Not that all of 2011 was fun, but it sure is over.

2012 is the year really, that DH and I are going to sit down and go through all the bins of photos and sort them out. Even if I have to tie us down to do it.

Last year I really got into this scrapbook thing in a big way, including a new program My Memories Suite v3. I had lots of fun learning to use it and getting those creative juices flowing again. I even crocheted a cowl for younger daughter. In 2012, I plan on using all my resources to get those photos organized, put in scrapbooks and preserving them.

This is the year the 1940 census comes out. I've determined that trying to locate my family on the 1940 census without an index is probably a huge problem. My dad, uncle and grandfather were living in a boarding home and my mom was living somewhere. When asked some years ago where she was living in 1940, she couldn't quite remember if she lived with a cousin, or was already working as an au pair or living with a friend. That's certainly a problem for locating people on the census.

In 2012, I plan on working on all the various record images I've saved and finally getting the info entered and images linked.

Hopefully 2012 will also include a research trip or two.

2011 saw me start a lifestyle change with the diagnosis of diabetes. Here's hoping I'll keep up with the better diet and exercise and weight loss. I have to admit I am feeling a lot better.

I hope you all have a happy 2012!

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. I have a question, so the 1940 census is being released this year, forgive me for asking such a silly question, but for someone who accesses these records, say though ancestry . com, does that mean I've never had access to the 1940,50 etc census's, only the ones in 1930 and prior?

    ReplyDelete