Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

OCFRD Relapse

I wasn't paying attention to the signs and symptoms, but my packed Death Certificate folder - 150 when all was said and done - should have been a huge clue. Also, while I was pulling those, I was looking for links to some of these people on Find-A-Grave. My pile is an inch high for that. Then there are the California and other places indices that I printed off reports on and the obits I've yanked off Genealogy Bank and Ancestry.

Then I played domestic goddess for a while, mopping the hardwood floors, dusting, laundry, cooking, etc. Then I got to play domestic goddess again after DH's mishap with coffee. Really, doesn't he know this is cutting in to my research time?

Actually, other than a few other surnames, most of what I worked on were of the Chinn surname in Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Missouri, Texas and California. I even checked out the Michigan Chinns but those were all recent (late 19th to early 20th centuries) immigrants, so I skipped those. It will probably take me a couple weeks to get all the paper information entered and then I can work on the marriage and birth records I pulled on these families. And the obits. Can't forget those. 

When I wasn't working on vitals this weekend, I caught the Emmett Smith episode of Who Do You Think You Are? I found it very interesting and loved the "woo-woo" factor when he told that he wore 22 on his football jersey in college and during his pro career, which was the number of the Mecklenburg County, Virginia deed book his ancestor's transfer as property was recorded in.  I assured my DH that indeed there was a lot of "woo-woo" factor when working on family history research, or Kismet or karma or whatever you want to call it.

One other thing that caught my attention was his firm belief that his ancestors would know that he had found them and they weren't forgotten. I have that same belief with my family research including my husband's side. When I find a new person in our lineages I feel like it is welcoming a new member to the family. Someone who is integral to who we are.


Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment