Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Volunteers

A while back, I requested photos of  some graves in Mountain Home Cemetery in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The volunteer, Max B., did a great job of waiting for the snow to clear and grabbing the photos for me. He also got the names of the people on adjoining lots. Really, this is so above and beyond, that I had to give him a shout out!

It reminds me of last year, when I found some information in a Philadelphia cemetery, sent an email off and got 8x10 glossies of the graves and copies of the burial records. There was no charge for it, but donations were not discouraged to their Friends of the cemetery organization. I hoped my donation would possibly fund copies and photos for someone else.

I spent quite a few years of my life volunteering. A few years were spent in the Instructional Materials Center - we used to call it the library - at my kids' elementary school and then ten plus years at the local Family History center.  Almost all that I know about research, I learned there. It was such a great experience and the reason why I truly appreciate volunteers!

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. Every serious researcher owes a bucket load of thanks to volunteers. Just where would we be without em???

    ReplyDelete