Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Combining Hobbies

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to attend the 3rd Annual Scrapbooking Luau held by the MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) group here in Cookeville. It was so much fun. I'd never been to an event like this before. Oh sure, I've attended genealogical meetings, and House Parties (that's what miniaturists call their conventions), but this was my first scrapbook event.

First, I have to say it was an extremely long day. It started at 9 am and closed at 8 pm. There were several vendors there and lots of door prizes. I was lucky enough to win not one, not two, but three prizes. The first was a gift bag with a travel mug, a stainless steel water bottle, a music CD and a box of that nice square size note paper you keep on your desk. The next one was for a lube job and oil change at a business in town. And the third prize I won was one of the Grand Prizes. A free night at a Bed and Breakfast in Watertown, Tennessee. That prize alone was more than the cost of my admission to the luau.

The cover of my Percival book.
Also included was breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, milk chocolate and  white chocolate fountains. And unadulterated Sweet Tea. Usually it is way too sweet for me, but I drank two glasses of it. It was wonderful. It also might help explain this sugar high and headache I have (as will the m&ms and the chocolate.) I haven't finished going through my goody bag, there was just too much stuff to take in.

My table mates were lots of fun. I was the unknown quantity at the table, but they made me feel real comfortable. One of my table mates brought her stuff in two huge suitcases on wheels. It still took her two trips. Another of my table mates brought her desktop computer and widescreen monitor. We all accomplished a lot although I feel I got the least done. I was also probably the most inexperienced scrapper there. I did take the time to label photos and do a little 'journaling.'

I have a feeling that this could become an annual event for me!




Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment