Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Records Crisis

I am linking an article from The Mormon Times on The coming genealogical dark ages. This was sent by cousin Karen. If you think it isn't happening, think again. Records are disappearing from those nice, friendly courthouses where you were allowed free access to vital records. Counties all over the United States are in financial crisis and record preservation is usually at the bottom of the list, if it is on the list at all. I know that records in Tennessee are disappearing and disintegrating and will not be filmed until all counties are organized and ready for filming. Who knows when that will happen.

One of the things I found most interesting about this article was the mention of email as a replacement for writing letters, and how we organize it. I think that is a new project for me. I usually save all my family email, but perhaps actually printing it out might be in order. I know I have birth and death announcements in those emails along with news of other family members. How do you handle that? Let me know.

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment