Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sympathy Saturday - Angus McEachin

I connect to the McEachins through my late uncle Angus Mack. Before she died, my aunt Margie Zimmeth Mack handed me a book one of Uncle Angus' relatives had put together. Until that point, I had no idea his last name was really McEachin. Let's face it, until I was in my teens, I thought his first name was Mack. That's what my parents always called him.

Today's subject was my Uncle Angus Mack's grandfather.

From the Port Huron Times Herald, Port Huron, Michigan, obituary, 30 December 1931, p1.

Death Takes Old Resident -- Brother of New York Democratic Leader Dies in Ubly.  (Special to the times Herald).  Ubly, Dec. 30 -- Angus J. Mack, 73, pioneer resident of Sheridan township and a brother of Norman E. Mack, well known buffalo newspaper publisher and Democratic leader, died Tuesday in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Matthew McIntyre, Sheridan Township.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday in St. Columbkille church, Sheridan township. Rev. Fr. William Fitzpatrick will officiate.  Burial will be in the church cemetery.

Mr. Mack is survived by 13 children:  Mrs. Peter C. Burns and Daniel, both of Port Huron; Hanley, James, John, and Mrs. Joseph Heffernan, all of Detroit; Norman, Malcolm and Mrs. Harry Johnson, all of Flint; Mrs. R. C. Burns and Mrs. McIntyre, both of Sheridan Township and Sister Mary Estelle and Sister Sabina, both of Chicago; three brothers, Norman E., Buffalo; Neil MacEachin, Bad Axe, and Malcolm MacEachin, Rhinelander, Wisconsin; and two sisters Mrs. John D. McEachin, Ubly and Mrs. Sarah McGillivray, Cass City.

Mr. Mack was born in Parkhill, Ontario and came to Sheridan when about 12 years old.  He had lived there since and was active in civic affairs, serving several times as supervisor and treasurer of the township.

Copyright 2010-2012, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment