Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Virginia, Winchester, Evening Star Obituaries, 1899-1909

This is a great new database on Family Search for anyone researching in the Winchester, Virginia area. Actually, I am as my Bowmans lived in the area of Strasburg and Winchester, Virginia. So I was pleasantly surprised to see obituaries from the Winchester Evening Star on the Family Search site.

Further investigation led me to the saddest obituaries I have ever seen. I can't imagine anything more difficult for a parent than the loss of a child, George Hupp Bowman, Sr. and his wife, Flora Ellen King, lost all three of their children between April 22nd and May 8th. They ranged in age from 24 to  31. The children were Laura (Mrs. Homer Henkel Sherman) who died on April 24th not long after hearing of the death of her sister, Elizabeth (Mrs. Minitree J. Fulton) who died on April 22nd. Both women were in "delicate" condition. Their brother, George Hupp Bowman, Jr., died two weeks later on May 8th of a congestive chill.

The obituaries are obviously from a scrapbook and I have not yet been able to verify the dates.

Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have been researching the Bowmans, as I am related to the Spenglers (who married Bowmans). When I saw that all three of these people died the same year, I had to find out what happened. How tragic!

    ReplyDelete