Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Bounty of My Garden

I am starting to haul in cucumbers.  Unfortunately, the tomatoes are lagging a bit. All the wet weather and gray skies have them lagging behind.  I wracked my brain until I came up with an idea for dinner.

One of the things I miss about Michigan is the good Polish cooking. Polish restaurants are sadly lacking here. So for dinner the other day, we had potato and cheese pierogi (Mrs. T's); smoked sausage (Eckrich) and sliced cucumbers in sour cream with a touch of dill. Oh man. I don't think I've had that dish since we moved here almost 6 years ago. DH's mother used to make it occasionally, and everyone enjoyed it.

At times when I make Polish dishes we used to enjoy at his parent's house, I wish my mother had passed on the German dishes she learned from her Aunt Rose. Certainly, she never made any for us, because dad didn't care for German food.

It's funny how certain dishes bring back memories. Butter pecan ice cream to my daughters reminds them of their Grandma dishing out ice cream cones. Twizzlers remind one of my daughters of my mother. Noodles bring to mind my husband's father who would eat macaroni noodles with anything. When I think of strawberry shortcake, I think of my dad.

Makes me wonder what I can plan for dinner tonight!



Copyright 2010-2013, ACK for Gene Notes

1 comment:

  1. It is strange, my dad did not like German food either. In Pittsburgh there are always ethnic food festivals and restaurants.

    We go to a German restaurant a few times a year.

    ReplyDelete