Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Its All in the Name.

Forget Michael, Sara, Emma, Jennifer and other popular names. Look back into the 16th and 17th centuries for some great names.

Really, I do understand why a parent would name their child Thankful, Prudence, Patience, and Temperance. Charity also seems to be popular in that time frame. But why on earth would someone name their child Fear? These are just some of the names I've come across in my research in Massachusetts. Granted, a lot of these people were Quaker, but to name a daughter Fear is beyond me. And the name got passed to her granddaughter too. Glad my parents weren't Quaker and didn't follow those naming patterns!

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment