Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

TRYING TO GET MY RESEARCH ON

We had company last week from out of town, DH's cousin from Buffalo. It was a great time, but exhausting. And now I am finding it hard to get my research back on track.

Yeah, I know I should be working on those World War I letters, but somehow yesterday I found myself distracted with Scotland Censuses 1851-1901. When I am looking for something that I know should be there, I become very animal like. First I am dogged in my research by being persistent (or like cousin Carol - badger-like) and then I am like a squirrel, I look for those nuts everywhere. It paid off, I was successful in finding what I was looking for on the census, including the last child of Alexander John Maitland (he was my great-great grandfather's first cousin) Joseph Moule Hamilton Maitland, who was heretofore nameless but I knew he died in the Great War. I was able to find him on the 1901 Scotland Census and then British War Medals Database on Ancestry and finally on Find-A-Grave in France. The War Medal image is on the right. If you click on it, you will see a much better image. The only thing I can really make out is the bottom, which is the reverse of the card, which indicates that his father, A. J. Maitland of 18 Church Street, Alloa (in Clackmannanshire, Scotland) would like the medals due his late son. Most of the other stuff is beyond me. If there is someone out there who can actually read this, that would be great.

Other tidbits I got from the Scotland Census 1861-1881 was being able to find Helen Maitland Urquhart. I don't know what happened to her husband George, family records indicated they married in Canada, but in 1861, she is living with her sister Elizabeth and her husband, William Gorrie. William was at one time partner with Helen & Elizabeth's brother Charles Maitland in the Bass Crest Brewery in Alloa. In 1871, her nephew Charles William Gorrie Maitland is living with her. This would be her brother Charles' son. In 1881, her niece, Jessie Maitland (Charles' daughter) is living with her. That is the last I see of her. Helen was born in 1822, and it is entirely possible she married again, but I have no record of that.  Elizabeth and husband William Gorrie also disappear and probably have passed, both being born about 1811.

The time was not wasted, especially since it answered some questions I had.

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

4 comments:

  1. He entered the A & S Highlanders (highrs) as a private and was eventually made a lieutenant. He entered the service in Dec. of 1914, was commissioned an officer 13 June, 1916, and died 23 April, 1917. A & S Highlanders was the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Here is a good link: http://www.aboutscotland.co.uk/argylls/ash81to18.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes ya wonder how lowlanders got into the Highland regiment? And it is the medals that get me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm betting if you emailed the Museum Curator at that link, you could find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Scotland. The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders recruited heavily from the Central Scotland area including Clackmannanshire & Stirlingshire. I have members of my family going back from the Stirlingshire area who joined up. I live not far from Alloa where this lad has his address in the medals record.

    ReplyDelete