Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

No. Don't Lose Interest Now! or How OCFRD Takes Over.

Don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying transcribing those letters my paternal grandfather wrote, I just need to do some actual research once in a while - like every day. My days have been running something like this:

Get up, have coffee and breakfast, transcribe a letter, pull some records, wash some windows, do some laundry, feed the birds, water plants, make bed, dust, vacuum, mop, organizing something, pull some more records, scan a letter, transcribe it, print the transcription, file it, go to lunch, run miscellaneous errands, grocery shop, more laundry, clean bathrooms, take car in for service, go to dentist, clean guest room (actually, this one is on tap for tomorrow), pull more records, make dinner, run dishwasher, watch a little TV with DH, have a glass of wine (Freedom Run Winery, Niagara county, New York - Manning Manor Rose), listen to DH listening to noise, figure out what noise is, gulp wine down, send email, take shower, do a little more research, evaluate a source, make some corrections on Find A Grave (my records), fold clothes, get ready for bed, maybe look for one more record and go to bed - maybe!

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

11 comments:

  1. Same around here, genealogy interspersed with real life, all day, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I just got up & you've gone & made me tired already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much dusting and window washing in that list! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! Ah, sitting here with my dust bunnies reading your post, and we're tired. It's so true how the work-a-day world distracts us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I am retired. Don't know how I did it when I was working and trying to get our house ready to sell, pack, and move 600 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading that makes me tired. I guess since I'm a wife and full-time working mom with two children ages 6 and 2, I should consider it a miracle I get anything done at all on my research. There are days after the kids are in bed that I foolishly think I have enough energy to work on something....I usually end up going to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy, I'm a night person, so when I was working, I'd be up until 1 or 2 am, when all was quiet. I got a lot done then. When my kids were 6 and 4 way back in 1986, who heard of the internet? I was just starting to put my stuff into a genealogy program. I think at that time I was teaching myself DOS and Basic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'A Woman's work is never done....' but oh it's so much fun to intersperse some genealogy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most days I don't have any problem coming up with a post topic. Yesterday was a crazy day, so that became my topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hel-LO? Where is the NAP in that list? I don't see it there anywhere. You have got to get your priorities straight, woman. You are retired, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't get one yesterday. Maybe today?

    ReplyDelete