Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Finally, Friday! One Thing Done!

For the last week, I've been working on seeing what went wrong with the GEDCom import from RootsMagic v 6 to Legacy 8. Once I realized I hadn't turned off the color coding before the import I decided to save the file and just delete those items. I took my 177 page error file and took it down to 60 pages. A lot easier to deal with. Thursday night I finished reviewing and editing the people indicated in the report. Whew! Happy dance. Much celebration here in Mid Tennessee.

Not out of the water yet. There is a difference between how RootsMagic handled christenings or baptisms and how Legacy does. That generated what was originally an 87 page report. Once I figured out I could turn off birth and death information in the report, I re-ran it and got it down to 33 pages. A lot more reasonable to deal with. And Legacy has a neat little option for swapping my christening fact for theirs. Which is what I am doing now.

In redoing lots of to do items - the downside being that Legacy does not have a family to-do capability - I found some more information. Of course that has added to my pile on my desk. Eventually I will get through it.

I am still waiting for my manual that I ordered. USPS tells me it is on the way - 2 day priority is taking more than 2 days. I am sure that will make things a little easier. Yes, I do have the PDF version of it too, but sometimes when you open to a page in a book, it makes explanations clearer than trying to print all the links for a specific manual subject. And I sure could use some shortcuts. The one thing I really liked about RootsMagic was the ability to hardly ever use the touchpad or in the case of my new laptop, my mouse. I am much better at keyboarding the pointing and clicking. Go figure!

I have made the commitment to Legacy 8, only entering information in it instead of both programs. One has the capability of a great app that can be synced with my database, the other has a fairly minimal show and tell app.

I hope to work more on it today, but since we are hosting the Blue Cross Bowl or the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Football games, I might watch more of that!  I could probably do that while I put up the Christmas tree. Decisions, decisions.





Copyright 2010-2013, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment